Crypto currency vs Fiat currency
Are you aware of fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies? Both are coins in one form or another and are open for public use worldwide. But they are both different and distinct in their own ways. There is always a group that favors the use of crypto, while the other has a soft corner for fiat currencies.
In the cashless society- crypto money plays a huge role
If you have a look at the market of the 1970s and 1980s, you will find that cash played the dominant role. But, with the change in technology, electronic transactions have become the usual norm. Today, more and more people are influenced to become the cashless society. With the progress towards a cashless society, cryptocurrencies have a big role to play.
Crypto currency and fiat currency are always at loggerheads
Cryptocurrency and fiat currency are popular types of digital currency, especially when it comes to an online transaction. Both are currencies currently in use in the market, but they have some differences in them. There’s a hell of a lot of hypes you’ll hear every day comparing cryptocurrencies and fiat money. This article highlights the difference between the two in a more complete and clear way.
Different in what the currencies are
Before going for the difference between the two, you should understand what they are and how they are defined.
The fiat currency is a legal currency that has the support of the central government, and operates in the physical form. For example, US dollars, British Pounds, Euros etc. On the other hand, cryptocurrency is a non-legal currency, and has no backup from the central government or bank.
Therefore, the difference between crypto currency and fiat currency is noted as follows:
• Crypto-currencies are decentralized and global in nature. There is no entity or government that controls the currency with its own laws and regulations. Fiat currency is centralized, under the control of the laws and regulations of the banks and the government.
• Crypto-currencies have their existence only in the digital domain. On the other hand, you will find that fiat currencies have a tangible and physical existence.
• There is a limited supply of crypto-currencies with a maximum set of them being provided in the market. Whereas, fiat money has an unlimited supply since the government and the bank are entitled to produce coins and paper money whenever the situation calls for it.
• Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are created by computers, while fiat currencies are issued by local governments and banks.
• Cryptocurrencies are presented as pieces of public and private code. On the other hand, fiat currencies are presented in the form of coins and paper.
• The value of cryptocurrencies is not recognized by market supply and demand. Whereas the value of fiat currency is determined by market regulations of supply and demand.
The different types of crypto and fiat currencies
In the last decade, the popularity of crypto-type currencies has emerged as a great success. It was in 2009, when Bitcoin was introduced for the first time, and years later many other types of cryptocurrencies emerged. Starting with Litecoin. Dogecoin, Ripple to the Dcash and Zcash, there is a plethora of them. On the other hand, fiat currency has a rich and ancient root, with the Great British Pound, which dates back to 775 AD. It is considered to be the oldest coin in the world that is still in use.
The differences in anonymity between the two currencies
When using fiat currencies, you need a user identification or verification process. You are asked to upload a recent photo of yourself and some of the documents required to be issued according to the public authorities. You don’t need to go through any of the required processes with cryptocurrencies. Although your personal information and confidential data are not public, but all your transactions are recorded and tracked in fiat and crypto currency.
Fiat currency vs cryptocurrency: level of transparency
• The level of transparency with the cryptocurrencies of type are considered more. This is because revenue streams are displayed in a public chain. Everyone can attend to their transactions and others.
• The fiat or govt. the coins are not transparent, as there are no public chains to show people’s income streams.
A comparative historical root
If you compare crypto money with that of its counterpart, fiat or government currency, you will find that its existence and creation makes a difference. The Fiat or government currency, dates back to 775 AD with the introduction of the Great British Pound. That’s why fiat currency is easily accepted by people in general.
On the other hand, cryptocurrency was perhaps first introduced only a decade ago, with the introduction of Bitcoin in 2009. The challenge that Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies face is to catch up with immense popularity and increasing fan base of fiat currency. . Crypto currency, is undoubtedly gaining importance and popularity in the economic market, but it is not yet widely accepted in society like fiat currency.
A comparative history of the two currencies:
• It was in the 11th century, when the Song Chinese dynasty was perhaps the first to issue paper money. It was not allowed to exchange with valuables such as gold and silver or silk.
• There were tally sticks that were introduced as fiat or government currency. 1100 Tally sticks were introduced as a combat for the gold shortage.
• 1971 was the year when the fiat currency received worldwide recognition. President Nixon introduced it to eliminate the system of pegging the dollar to gold.
• It was in 1998, when the idea of an anonymous electronic cash system emerged from Wei Dai. Bitgold-the first cryptocurrency was created by Nick Szabo, but it has not received as much attention as Bitcoin.
• In 2009, Bitcoin was introduced to the market, which became the first cryptocurrency to be accepted around the globe. In 2011 and after, a series of other cryptocurrencies were introduced. Some of the popular ones include Litecoin, Dogecoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Zcash, Dash and so on.
The characteristics of the two currencies
The potential of crypto-type coins and fiat coins, access to their characteristics is important. You will find that in some of the criteria, Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are superior to fiat or government currency, and in some cases, the latter exceeds. It is absolutely your call to choose the type of currency (crypto currency or fiat type currency) based on your personal needs and requirements.
Let’s compare their characteristics with respect to some factors.
• Both crypto currencies and fiat type currencies are interchangeable in nature.
• As for portability it concerns both safe coins more or less the same position.
• In respect of non-consumable criteria, crypto currency and fiat type currency have the same status.
• Crypto-type currencies have a high durability compared to fiat-currencies which have a moderate level of durability.
• Both crypto or virtual currencies and fiat or government currencies ensure secure and safeguarded transactions and exchange.
• Crypto or digital currencies are very divisible in nature. On the other hand, fiat-type currencies are moderately divisible.
• As for the transaction process, cryptocurrencies are easy and hassle-free. While, on the other hand, the process of traction associated with fiat currencies are easy, but not like cryptocurrencies.
• Crypto-based currencies are decentralized and global in nature, unlike fiat currencies which are centralized and function under government laws and regulations.
• Crypto based currencies have a high scarcity, where as, fiat currencies are unlimited as the government can issue coins and paper money whenever there is a need.
• Crypto based currencies are based on mathematical algorithms, and are programmable. The fiat currencies are not programmable at all.
• Fiat currencies are sovereign in nature, while cryptocurrencies are not.
The process of the operation of the coins
You can find significant differences between cryptocurrencies or digital currencies and fiat currencies with the way they operate and the transaction process that takes place. They are contrasting in nature. Transferring money with Bitcoin is very fast, and you don’t need any third party association.
On the other hand, if you are involved with the exchange of money with Fiat type currency, a mobile wallet is in use. You can exchange an amount of e-money that is transferred in the same amount of e-value. Both fiat and cryptocurrencies allow you to buy anything you want. But the processes involved are absolutely distinct from each other.
Depending on the things you buy, you will find that one form of currency is better than the other. This is absolutely your choice.
Is Bitcoin, a cryptocurrency better than fiat-currency?
The long-term benefits and capacity of Bitcoins are not established. But it was predicted by the gurus and crypto currency experts, which will go a long way, especially revolutionizing the way of online transactions. In the current market, Bitcoin is mainly included in online casinos and games, but it is not limited to this.
Also, when you compare fiat currencies, Bitcoin allows you to take power and authority from banks and the government since it is not controlled. Cryptocurrency based currency has the ability to create or come with free market capitals. Fiat coins are affected by inflation and changes in the market, unlike crypto-based coins. Such aspects make individuals believe that crypto-based currencies will take over mainstream currencies and bring about a transformation in the way money is used.
Why is Bitcoin considered a better option than fiat currencies?
• Bitcoin gives you the opportunity to recreate a free market capitalism.
• The power to control money is absolutely with individuals, and not with banks like fiat currencies.
• When there is an inflation, the Bitcoin is not affected. But the Fiat type currency will be easier to lose and affected by this.
• Bitcoin currency is easier to exchange and transfer compared to fiat or government currencies.
• The transaction fees involved with Bitcoin are much cheaper and easily accessible.
Crypto currencies seem to be a favorable option among people
Fiat-type currencies are the centralized and legal way to exchange money. But, cryptocurrencies have gained immense popularity in recent years. There will never be anyone who acts as a middle man, as is the case with the banks. Also, cryptocurrencies are much cheaper and less expensive than conventional fiat currencies.
Send money anywhere directly without waiting for bank approval
You can send money to anyone in the world directly, and it’s super fast. The money was gone within minutes. You do not need to wait for the traditional procedures of clarification and verification of the banking systems, which could take several days to obtain a release. Since it is decentralized and not subject to government laws and regulations, no one has any power to do anything with your account.
Blockchain technology has a very big role to play
Thanks to cryptocurrencies, which give us the power and authority to become our own bank, and take control of our finances. It is because of blockchain technology that it offers a higher level of sophistication while dealing with finances. In fact, there are some major financial industries that have begun to incorporate the idea of technology.